Saturday, March 6, 2010

What to call it

As a musician, terms like gig, show, performance, concert and the like are common to words to describe when the artist plays an event. As a Christian artist, I find it somewhat perplexing as to what to call it. I do not like the term "show" as I am not attempting to entertain people, yet take them to a closer understanding of God. The word "performance" indicates that what the artist doing is not real, or is more of a staged pre-determined order of things with no room for spiritual input. The term "gig" lends itself to create an impersonal vibe as though the artist is just playing another "gig", then it is on to the next one. "Concert" to me just screams "I AM HERE TO SHOW YOU MY TALENT!! LOOK AT ME!!! Not good...As Christians, we are to be humble, not proud. While there are many very talented Christians, those who put there talents out there in a vain attempt to showcase themselves rather than the Lord they serve are what I would consider misguided. So what to call it. How does a Christian artist describe accurately what the listener will be attending, what will happen while in attendance? I am up for suggestions....
-Jamison

2 comments:

  1. heard part of your music at the Mall...how about "encounter"...cuz seems to be what you do...encounter God and His beloved people...

    ReplyDelete